Well, I stayed home for 4 days New Year weekend in my jammies and made the cowl and preemie hat.
To make the cowl longer I played it off the cuff. I think I added a few rows before the first increase, 2 or 4 more before the next increase. As I knit on and as it got near the end, I would try it on. I added more. This is the first time I have modified a pattern and in hindsight, I would add all my extra rows at the bottom before the increase, duh! where I needed them. As it turned out it with this yarn it was more "open" near the face so I crochet a ribbon "yarn" held doubled to make a draw string. That too I would change, I would decrease at least to the original cast on count. I took in to work about 5 skeins of yarn for P to choose from and she picked a skein of Hand Dyed Yarn that I received in my one and only swap. I received two skeins, 150 yds each that originally came from Simply fibers ltd. The yarn was great to work with. I have some left over but know sure how much but will figure it out and see if I can make something else. Too much to just leave in stash.